[wesnoth-i18n] A Reminder Regarding Wesnoth Translation Hints

Steve Cotton steve at s.cotton.clara.co.uk
Tue Aug 27 21:38:23 UTC 2019

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 07:19:32PM +0100, Andrius Štikonas wrote:
> Is there any reason why string substitution can't be used to hide it away?
> i.e. keep string as '[%s|<command>]' and replace %s with 'all' in C++

I agree that the "do not translate" hints should be replaced, and acknowledge
that it's not the same as your suggestion, but pull requests #4276 and #4287
would add replacements with enough space to provide translations of what "all"
means in the player's language.

Example of what's removed:
- "do not translate the 'all'^[all|<command>]"

Example of what's added:
+ Translators' note: These are the arguments accepted by the "help" command,
+ which are either "all" or the name of another command.
+ As with the command's name, "all" is hardcoded, and shouldn't change in the translation.
+ "[all|<command>]\n“all” = overview of all commands, <command> = name of a specific command (provides more detail)"

I'm hoping this will be better for both players and translators, but I don't
know enough about translation and would appreciate feedback on it.

BR,
Steve